This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing education on timolol (Timoptic) to a patient who has been diagnosed with ... (Read 74 times)

cabate

The nurse is providing education on timolol (Timoptic) to a patient who has been diagnosed with open-angle glaucoma. Which statement by the patient best demonstrates the need for further teaching?

a. I should take my pulse prior to each application.
  b. I may experience blurred vision.
  c. I should cover my skin when I am out in the sun.
  d. I may experience stinging and dry eyes.

Question 2

A nurse counsels a patient who has just started taking buspirone. When should the nurse instruct the patient to expect to see an effect from the drug?

a. 1 hour
  b. 24-48 hours
  c. 1 week
  d. 8-12 weeks

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jharrington11

Answer to Question 1

C
Covering the skin when out in the sun is consistent with photosensitivity; timolol is associated with photophobia (sensitivity to bright lights). Further teaching is needed.
Because timolol is a beta blocker, it can reduce the heart rate. The patient should evaluate the pulse for slowing prior to medication administration. No further teaching is needed.
Adverse effects of timolol include transient ocular stinging, blurred vision, conjunctivitis, dry eyes, and photophobia, not photosensitivity. No further teaching is needed.

Answer to Question 2

c

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library