Author Question: The nurse is working with a group of obese patients. One states, My goal is to reduce my weight from ... (Read 27 times)

james

The nurse is working with a group of obese patients. One states, My goal is to reduce my weight from 280 pounds to 230 pounds in the first 6 months. What response by the nurse would be most appropriate for this patient?

a. That is a realistic goal for your weight-reduction program.
  b. Because most weight loss occurs in the first 6 months, you should aim for 200 pounds.
  c. Weight loss of more than 20 pounds in 6 months could be dangerous.
  d. Safe and maintainable weight loss should be about 10 of body weight in 6 months.

Question 2

When a patient is taught about the extrapyramidal effects of antipsychotic drugs, information about what symptoms that may develop early in therapy should be included?

a. Severe spasms of the muscles of the tongue, face, neck, or back
  b. Pacing and squirming
  c. Involuntary upward deviation of the eyes
  d. Cramping causing joint dislocation

fur

Answer to Question 1

D
Safe and maintainable weight loss should be about 10 of body weight in 6 months.
A loss of 50 pounds in 6 months is unrealistic for this patient.
Advising the patient to aim for a weight loss of 200 pounds in the first 6 months is less realistic than a reduction of 50 pounds and may actually harm the patient.
Weight loss of more than 20 pounds in 6 months is not dangerous, because it falls within the guideline of 10 of body fat (ie, 28 pounds for this patient).

Answer to Question 2

b