This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with diarrhea has been prescribed methylcellulose (Citrucel). The patient asks the nurse, ... (Read 42 times)

AEWBW

A patient with diarrhea has been prescribed methylcellulose (Citrucel). The patient asks the nurse, I thought this was for constipation. Why am I getting it? Select the most appropriate response from the nurse.

a. Methylcellulose adds bulk to the stool to firm it up.
  b. Methylcellulose acts by reducing the volume of diarrhea.
  c. Methylcellulose reduces intestinal motility, slowing intestinal transit.
  d. Methylcellulose stimulates the bowel to eliminate the diarrhea, leaving only formed stools.

Question 2

A patient comments, I don't understand why I have chest pain at times when I'm resting or exercising. How will metoprolol (Toprol XL) help? Which of the following comments made by the nurse is correct?

a. It improves sympathetic stimulation to the heart.
  b. You've probably had several minor heart attacks, therefore SL nitroglycerin would be more appropriate.
  c. It improves the right ventricular ejection fraction.
  d. It increases exercise tolerance

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jointhecircus

Answer to Question 1

A
The most appropriate response from the nurse should be that methylcellulose is a bulk-forming agent that acts by giving the stool a more firm, less watery consistency by bulking it up.
Methylcellulose does not reduce the volume of diarrhea. Loperamide has that action.
Methylcellulose does not reduce intestinal motility, slowing intestinal transit. Opiates have that action.
Methylcellulose does not stimulate the bowel to eliminate diarrhea, leaving only formed stools.

Answer to Question 2

D
When administered on a fixed schedule, beta blockers can provide sustained protection against effort-induced anginal pain. Exercise tolerance is increased, and the frequency and intensity of anginal attacks are reduced, thus reducing stress on the heart.
Beta blockers reduce oxygen demand and block sympathetic stimulation.
Nothing indicates that this patient has suffered a heart attack, therefore a statement referring to a heart attack would be a poor choice.
Beta blockers may in fact reduce the ejection fraction, as well as AV conduction and contractili-ty.

AEWBW

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Viet Thy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library