This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with diarrhea has been prescribed methylcellulose (Citrucel). The patient asks the nurse, ... (Read 43 times)

AEWBW

A patient with diarrhea has been prescribed methylcellulose (Citrucel). The patient asks the nurse, I thought this was for constipation. Why am I getting it? Select the most appropriate response from the nurse.

a. Methylcellulose adds bulk to the stool to firm it up.
  b. Methylcellulose acts by reducing the volume of diarrhea.
  c. Methylcellulose reduces intestinal motility, slowing intestinal transit.
  d. Methylcellulose stimulates the bowel to eliminate the diarrhea, leaving only formed stools.

Question 2

A patient comments, I don't understand why I have chest pain at times when I'm resting or exercising. How will metoprolol (Toprol XL) help? Which of the following comments made by the nurse is correct?

a. It improves sympathetic stimulation to the heart.
  b. You've probably had several minor heart attacks, therefore SL nitroglycerin would be more appropriate.
  c. It improves the right ventricular ejection fraction.
  d. It increases exercise tolerance

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jointhecircus

Answer to Question 1

A
The most appropriate response from the nurse should be that methylcellulose is a bulk-forming agent that acts by giving the stool a more firm, less watery consistency by bulking it up.
Methylcellulose does not reduce the volume of diarrhea. Loperamide has that action.
Methylcellulose does not reduce intestinal motility, slowing intestinal transit. Opiates have that action.
Methylcellulose does not stimulate the bowel to eliminate diarrhea, leaving only formed stools.

Answer to Question 2

D
When administered on a fixed schedule, beta blockers can provide sustained protection against effort-induced anginal pain. Exercise tolerance is increased, and the frequency and intensity of anginal attacks are reduced, thus reducing stress on the heart.
Beta blockers reduce oxygen demand and block sympathetic stimulation.
Nothing indicates that this patient has suffered a heart attack, therefore a statement referring to a heart attack would be a poor choice.
Beta blockers may in fact reduce the ejection fraction, as well as AV conduction and contractili-ty.

AEWBW

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

scikid

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library