This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with ocular hypertension will begin using brimonidine Alphagan for long-term reduction of ... (Read 17 times)

sdfghj

A patient with ocular hypertension will begin using brimonidine Alphagan for long-term reduction of increased ocular pressure (IOP). The nurse teaches the patient about this medication.

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching? a. After using the drops, I should wait 15 minutes before putting in contacts.
  b. Because this is a topical medication, drowsiness will not occur.
  c. I will not have cardiovascular side effects when using this medication.
  d. If my eyes begin to itch or turn red, it means I am allergic to this drug.

Question 2

A patient has been using latanoprost Xalatan ophthalmic drops. The patient tells the nurse, My eyes used to be greenish-brown, but now they're brown. What will the nurse do?

a. Reassure the patient that this is a harmless side effect.
  b. Report this toxic effect to the patient's provider.
  c. Tell the patient that this indicates an in-creased risk of migraine headaches.
  d. Tell the patient that this effect will reverse when the medication is withdrawn.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Joc

Answer to Question 1

A
Patients using this drug should wait 15 minutes before putting in contacts, because soft contacts can absorb the drug. Even though the medication is topical, it can be absorbed systemically, causing systemic side effects such as drowsiness or lowered blood pressure. Itching and hyper-emia may occur and do not indicate allergy.

Answer to Question 2

This is great. Thanks

sdfghj

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

cdmart10

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library