This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is teaching a male adult patient about the use of testosterone gel. Which statement by the ... (Read 21 times)

ENagel

A nurse is teaching a male adult patient about the use of testosterone gel. Which statement by the patient indicates an understanding of the teaching?

a. I should apply this to my forearms and neck after showering.
  b. I should keep treated areas exposed to the air so that they can dry.
  c. I should not let my child touch the gel to prevent behavioral problems.
  d. I should not swim or bathe for 3 to 4 hours after applying the gel.

Question 2

A patient who is taking oral contraceptives begins taking valproic acid Depakote for seizures. After a week of therapy with valproic acid, the patient tells the nurse that she is experiencing nausea. What will the nurse do?

a. Ask the patient if she is taking the valproic acid with food, because taking the drug on an empty stomach can cause ga-strointestinal side effects.
  b. Contact the provider to request an order for a blood ammonia level, because hyperammonemia can occur with valproic acid therapy.
  c. Suggest that the patient perform a home pregnancy test, because valproic acid can reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives.
  d. Suspect that hepatotoxicity has occurred, because this is a common adverse effect of valproic acid.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

babybsemail

Answer to Question 1

C
Testosterone administered via gels can be transferred to others by skin-to-skin contact. In child-ren, virilization can occur, as well aggressive behaviors. The gel should be applied to clean, dry skin on the upper arms, shoulders, or abdomen and should be covered with clothing. Swimming and bathing are allowed 5 to 6 hours after application.

Answer to Question 2

A
Gastrointestinal effects, including nausea, vomiting, and indigestion, are common with valproic acid and can be minimized by taking the drug with food or using an enteric-coated product. Hyperammonemia can occur when valproic acid is combined with topiramate. Signs of pregnancy usually do not occur within a week, so this is less likely. Hepatotoxicity is a rare adverse effect.

ENagel

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

pangili4

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Children with strabismus (crossed eyes) can be treated. They are not able to outgrow this condition on their own, but with help, it can be more easily corrected at a younger age. It is important for infants to have eye examinations as early as possible in their development and then another at age 2 years.

Did you know?

The average person is easily confused by the terms pharmaceutics and pharmacology, thinking they are one and the same. Whereas pharmaceutics is the science of preparing and dispensing drugs (otherwise known as the science of pharmacy), pharmacology is the study of medications.

Did you know?

There used to be a metric calendar, as well as metric clocks. The metric calendar, or "French Republican Calendar" divided the year into 12 months, but each month was divided into three 10-day weeks. Each day had 10 decimal hours. Each hour had 100 decimal minutes. Due to lack of popularity, the metric clocks and calendars were ended in 1795, three years after they had been first marketed.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library