This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient asks about the effectiveness of various birth control methods. The nurse should inform her ... (Read 134 times)

mpobi80

A patient asks about the effectiveness of various birth control methods. The nurse should inform her that the most effective methods are what? (Select all that apply.)

a. Intrauterine devices (IUDs)
  b. Spermicides
  c. Intramuscular medroxyprogesterone ace-tate
  d. Etonogestrel subdermal implants
  e. Male or female sterilization

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient who will begin taking verapamil Calan for hypertension about the drug's side effects. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may become constipated, so I should increase fluids and fiber.
  b. I may experience a rapid heart rate as a result of taking this drug.
  c. I may have swelling of my hands and feet, but this will subside.
  d. I may need to increase my digoxin dose while taking this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chreslie

Answer to Question 1

A, C, D, E
The most effective methods of birth control are IUDs, intramuscular medroxyprogesterone ace-tate Depo-Provera, implants, and sterilization. Spermicides are not one of the most effective methods of birth control.

Answer to Question 2

A
Constipation is common with verapamil and can be minimized by increasing dietary fiber and fluids. Verapamil lowers the heart rate. Peripheral edema may occur secondary to vasodilation, and patients should notify their prescriber if this occurs, because the prescriber may use diuretics to treat the condition. Verapamil and digoxin have similar cardiac effects; also, verapamil may increase plasma levels of digoxin by as much as 60, so digoxin doses may need to be reduced.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library