This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with bipolar disorder takes lamotrigine Lamictal. Which statement by the patient would ... (Read 31 times)

kwoodring

A patient with bipolar disorder takes lamotrigine Lamictal. Which statement by the patient would prompt the nurse to hold the drug and notify the prescriber for further assessment?

a. I get a little dizzy sometimes.
  b. I had a headache last week that lasted for about an hour.
  c. I've broken out in a rash on my chest and back.
  d. Last night I woke up twice with a bad dream.

Question 2

A nurse working in a family planning clinic is preparing to administer a first dose of intramus-cular DMPA Depo-Provera to a young adult patient. The woman tells the nurse she has just finished her period. What will the nurse do?

a. Administer the injection today and coun-sel backup contraception for 7 days.
  b. Administer the injection today and tell her that protection is immediate.
  c. Obtain a pregnancy test to rule out preg-nancy before administering the drug.
  d. Schedule an appointment for her to re-ceive the injection in 3 weeks.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

braelync

Answer to Question 1

C
Evidence of a rash in a patient taking lamotrigine requires further assessment, because this may indicate the development of Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Although dizziness and headaches are side effects of lamotrigine, they are not potentially life threatening. A bad dream is not necessar-ily related to the lamotrigine.

Answer to Question 2

D
To ensure that patients are not pregnant when they receive DMPA, the first injection should be given during the first 5 days of a normal menstrual period.

kwoodring

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ultraflyy23

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

The training of an anesthesiologist typically requires four years of college, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, and 3 years of residency.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library