This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient calls a family planning clinic and tells the nurse that her vaginal ring, which has been ... (Read 95 times)

JMatthes

A patient calls a family planning clinic and tells the nurse that her vaginal ring, which has been in place for 2 weeks, came out sometime during the night while she was sleeping. The nurse will instruct her to:

a. clean the ring with warm water, reinsert it, and use condoms for 7 days.
  b. discard the ring and insert a new ring after 1 week has passed.
  c. discard the ring and insert a new one to begin a new cycle.
  d. wash the ring in hot, soapy water and reinsert it.

Question 2

A female patient who is not taking any other medications is prescribed aliskiren Tekturna, a direct renin inhibitor (DRI). The nurse reviews medication information with the patient.

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching? a. If I get pregnant, I should stop taking this drug by the second trimester.
  b. If I take this drug with a high-fat meal, it will be more effective.
  c. I should restrict my potassium intake while taking this drug.
  d. I should take this medication 1 hour be-fore sitting down to a meal.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joanwhite

Answer to Question 1

A
If a ring is expelled before 3 weeks have passed, it can be reinserted after being washed in warm water. If the ring has been out longer than 3 hours, backup contraception should be used for 7 days. Because this ring was expelled while the patient was sleeping, using backup contraception is prudent. Discarding the ring is not indicated if it can be cleaned. The ring should not be washed in hot water.

Answer to Question 2

D
DRIs should be taken on an empty stomach to improve their bioavailability. Patients should not take this drug when pregnant and should stop immediately upon finding out they are pregnant. Dosing with a high-fat meal reduces the drug's bioavailability. DRIs rarely cause hyperkalemia when taken alone.

JMatthes

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

coreycathey

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library