Author Question: A prescriber has ordered clonidine Catapres for a patient who has hypertension. The nurse teaches ... (Read 77 times)

littleanan

A prescriber has ordered clonidine Catapres for a patient who has hypertension. The nurse teaches the patient about side effects of this drug. Which statement by the patient indicates un-derstanding of the teaching?

a. I should chew sugar-free gum or drink water to reduce dry mouth.
  b. I should not drive as long as I am taking this drug.
  c. I should stand up slowly when taking this medication.
  d. I should stop taking this drug if I feel anxious or depressed.

Question 2

A woman who is breast-feeding her infant must take a prescription medication for 2 weeks. The medication is safe, but the patient wants to make sure her baby receives as little of the drug as possible. What will the nurse tell the patient to do?

a. Give the baby formula as long as the mother is taking the medication
  b. Take the medication immediately after breast-feeding
  c. Pump breast milk and feed the baby by bottle
  d. Take the medication 1 hour before breast-feeding

ladyjames123

Answer to Question 1

A
Xerostomia is a common side effect of clonidine and is often uncomfortable enough that patients stop using the drug. Counseling patients to chew sugar-free gum and take frequent sips of liquid can help alleviate this discomfort. Drowsiness is common, but this side effect becomes less in-tense over time. Patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities in the first weeks of therapy if they feel this effect. The hypertensive effects of clonidine are not posture dependent, as they are with the peripheral alpha-adrenergic blockers, so orthostatic hypotension is minimal with this drug. Clonidine causes euphoria, hallucinations, and sedation in high doses and can cause anxiety or depression, although the last two effects are less common. The drug should not be stopped abruptly because of the risk of rebound hypertension, so patients experiencing un-pleasant central nervous system (CNS) effects should consult their provider about withdrawing the medication slowly.

Answer to Question 2

B
Taking the medication immediately after breast-feeding minimizes the drug concentration in the breast milk at the next feeding. Disrupting breast-feeding is not indicated. Pumping the breast milk will not diminish the drugs or drug concentration in the breast milk. Taking the medication 1 hour before breast-feeding will increase concentrations of the drug in the breast milk.