Author Question: A nurse is preparing a patient who will stop taking lorazepam Ativan for anxiety and begin taking ... (Read 184 times)

Chelseaamend

A nurse is preparing a patient who will stop taking lorazepam Ativan for anxiety and begin taking buspirone Buspar. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I can drink alcohol when taking Buspar, but not grapefruit juice.
  b. I may need to use a sedative medication if I experience insomnia.
  c. I may not feel the effects of Buspar for a few weeks.
  d. I should stop taking the Ativan when I start taking the Buspar.

Question 2

A patient with multiple sclerosis needs pharmacologic treatment for spasticity to begin strengthening exercises to improve walking ability. The nurse anticipates that which medication will be ordered for spasticity?

a. Baclofen Lioresal
  b. Dantrolene Dantrium
  c. Diazepam Valium
  d. Metaxalone Skelaxin

macagn

Answer to Question 1

D
Ativan should not be withdrawn quickly; it must be tapered to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Moreover, Buspar does not have immediate effects. Because no cross-dependence occurs with these two medications, they may be taken together while the benzodiazepine is tapered. Because Buspar does not have sedative effects, patients can consume alcohol without increasing sedation. Levels of Buspar can be increased by grapefruit juice, leading to drowsiness and a feeling of dysphoria. Buspar can cause nervousness and excitement and does not have sedative effects, so patients with insomnia must use a sedative. Buspar does not have immediate effects.

Answer to Question 2

A
Baclofen is used to treat spasms associated with multiple sclerosis. It has no direct muscle relax-ant effects, so it does not reduce muscle strength. Dantrolene works well to reduce spasms, but it also has significant effects on muscle strength. Diazepam is not the first-line drug of choice, but it could be used because it does not reduce muscle strength. Metaxalone is not indicated to treat spasms caused by multiple sclerosis.