This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is preparing a patient to change from taking lorazepam (Ativan) for anxiety to buspirone ... (Read 92 times)

Beheh

A nurse is preparing a patient to change from taking lorazepam (Ativan) for anxiety to buspirone (Buspar). Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I can drink alcohol when taking Buspar, but not grapefruit juice.
  b. I may need to use a sedative medication if I experience insomnia.
  c. I may not feel the effects of Buspar for a few weeks.
  d. I should stop taking the Ativan when I start taking the Buspar.

Question 2

A patient with a new-onset seizure disorder receives a prescription for phenobarbital. The patient reports being concerned about the sedative side effects of this drug. Which response by the nurse is correct?

a. Phenobarbital doses for seizures are nonsedating.
  b. This is a short-acting barbiturate, so sedation wears off quickly.
  c. Tolerance to the sedative effects will develop in a few weeks.
  d. You may actually experience paradoxical effects of euphoria.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

allisonblackmore

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Ativan should not be withdrawn quickly; it needs to be tapered to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Moreover, Buspar does not have immediate effects. Because no cross-dependence occurs with these two medications, they may be taken together while the benzodiazepine is tapered. Because Buspar does not have sedative effects, patients can consume alcohol without increasing sedation. Levels of Buspar can be increased by grapefruit juice, leading to drowsiness and a feeling of dysphoria. Buspar can cause nervousness and excitement and does not have sedative effects, so patients with insomnia must use a sedative. Buspar does not have immediate effects.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Phenobarbital and mephobarbital are used for seizure disorders and suppress seizures at doses that are nonsedative. Phenobarbital is a long-acting barbiturate. At therapeutic doses, sedative effects do not occur. Paradoxical drug effects are associated with benzodiazepines and in older adults and debilitated patients with barbiturates.

Beheh

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

amit

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library