This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is preparing a patient to change from taking lorazepam (Ativan) for anxiety to buspirone ... (Read 93 times)

Beheh

A nurse is preparing a patient to change from taking lorazepam (Ativan) for anxiety to buspirone (Buspar). Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I can drink alcohol when taking Buspar, but not grapefruit juice.
  b. I may need to use a sedative medication if I experience insomnia.
  c. I may not feel the effects of Buspar for a few weeks.
  d. I should stop taking the Ativan when I start taking the Buspar.

Question 2

A patient with a new-onset seizure disorder receives a prescription for phenobarbital. The patient reports being concerned about the sedative side effects of this drug. Which response by the nurse is correct?

a. Phenobarbital doses for seizures are nonsedating.
  b. This is a short-acting barbiturate, so sedation wears off quickly.
  c. Tolerance to the sedative effects will develop in a few weeks.
  d. You may actually experience paradoxical effects of euphoria.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

allisonblackmore

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Ativan should not be withdrawn quickly; it needs to be tapered to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Moreover, Buspar does not have immediate effects. Because no cross-dependence occurs with these two medications, they may be taken together while the benzodiazepine is tapered. Because Buspar does not have sedative effects, patients can consume alcohol without increasing sedation. Levels of Buspar can be increased by grapefruit juice, leading to drowsiness and a feeling of dysphoria. Buspar can cause nervousness and excitement and does not have sedative effects, so patients with insomnia must use a sedative. Buspar does not have immediate effects.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Phenobarbital and mephobarbital are used for seizure disorders and suppress seizures at doses that are nonsedative. Phenobarbital is a long-acting barbiturate. At therapeutic doses, sedative effects do not occur. Paradoxical drug effects are associated with benzodiazepines and in older adults and debilitated patients with barbiturates.

Beheh

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

cpetit11

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

Vaccines prevent between 2.5 and 4 million deaths every year.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library