This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing discharge instruction to a patient who has just begun using diuretics. The ... (Read 31 times)

NguyenJ

The nurse is providing discharge instruction to a patient who has just begun using diuretics. The nurse counsels the patient that it is most important to monitor the intake of foods that contain which element?

A) Calcium
  B) Potassium
  C) Glucose
  D) Magnesium

Question 2

What statement by the 62-year-old patient indicates that the patient understand the nurse's teaching about diuretics?

A) I will weigh myself daily and report significant changes.
  B) I will have to limit my high sugar foods.
  C) If my leg gets swollen again, I'll take an additional pill.
  D) I will take my medication before bedtime on an empty stomach.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Heffejeff

Answer to Question 1

B
Potassium is the most important element to monitor in the diet because diuretics are most likely to lead to hyper- or hypokalemia depending on the diuretic prescribed. Calcium, glucose, and magnesium may need to be monitored in the diet but potassium would be the most important.

Answer to Question 2

A
Daily weights and blood pressures should be monitored at home in a patient taking diuretics. Options B, C, and D would indicate that further teaching is needed.

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library