Author Question: The school nurse is preparing a lecture on hepatitis B for a health class in high school. What is an ... (Read 64 times)

Davideckstein7

The school nurse is preparing a lecture on hepatitis B for a health class in high school. What is an important teaching point for the nurse to include about the transmission of hepatitis B? (Select all that apply.)

A) Hepatitis B is transmitted through the bite of an insect.
  B) Hepatitis B is transmitted through sexual contact.
  C) Hepatitis B is transmitted through blood-to-blood contact.
  D) Hepatitis B is transmitted from the mother to her unborn baby.
  E) Hepatitis B is transmitted through nonsexual household contact.

Question 2

A patient with AIDS is taking an antiviral agent. What comment by the patient would indicate that the teaching plan was effective?

A) I feel like I do when I have the flu.
  B) I will continue to take the over-the-counter medication for my allergies.
  C) Excessive fatigue and a severe headache are common adverse effects of my medication.
  D) This drug will cure AIDS.

Madisongo23

Answer to Question 1

B, C, D
Hepatitis B is transmitted from one person to another through sexual contact, blood-to-blood contact, or perinatally. It is not transmitted through casual contact. Several studies involving more than 1,000 uninfected, nonsexual household contacts with persons with hepatitis B infection (including siblings, parents, and children) have shown no evidence of casual transmission. Hepatitis B is not spread by mosquitoes or other insect vectors.

Answer to Question 2

A
Common adverse effects of antiviral agents are flu-like symptoms, which may be related to the underlying disease. Excessive fatigue and a severe headache can indicate a serious complication and should be reported immediately. Antiviral agents do not cure the disease. HIV causes loss of helper T-cell function. This causes the immune system to be depressed and allows opportunistic infections to occur. Antiviral agents reduce the number of mutant viruses that are formed and spread to noninfected cells.