This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Why is a filariae infestation potentially fatal? A) Worm-like embryos overwhelm the lymphatic ... (Read 26 times)

darbym82

Why is a filariae infestation potentially fatal?

A) Worm-like embryos overwhelm the lymphatic system
  B) Worm-like embryos invade the central nervous system (CNS)
  C) Worm-like embryos destroy the gastric mucosa
  D) Worm-like embryos hibernate in the brain

Question 2

Richard, 15 years old, has been diagnosed with epilepsy. He is to be sent home on oral phenytoin 100 mg b.i.d. What statement by Richard's mother leads the nurse to believe she has understood drug teaching?

A) I will make sure he takes the medication on an empty stomach.
  B) I will stop the drug immediately if any side effects occur.
  C) I will make sure he has routine visits to the dentist.
  D) I will weigh him daily and feed him a high-calorie diet.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Tabitha_2016

Answer to Question 1

A
Filariasis refers to infection of the blood and tissues of healthy individuals by worm embryos, which enter the body via insect bites. These thread-like embryos, or filariae, can overwhelm the lymphatic system and cause massive inflammatory reactions. While any system can be impacted due to the effect on the blood and lymphatic system, the filariae do not invade the CNS, gastric mucosa, or the brain specifically.

Answer to Question 2

C
Gingival hyperplasia is common in patients, especially children, who take phenytoin, which makes regular dentist visits important to oral health. Taking the medication on a full stomach or with meals reduces gastrointestinal (GI) adverse effects. The mother should call the health care provider if adverse effects are noted and needs to understand the risks associated with abrupt withdrawal of the medication. Daily weight taking and high-calorie diets are not associated with phenytoin administration.

darbym82

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

jamesnevil303

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library