This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: By what route would the nurse administer amphotericin B? A) Intravenously B) Intramuscularly C) ... (Read 23 times)

jwb375

By what route would the nurse administer amphotericin B?

A) Intravenously
  B) Intramuscularly
  C) Orally
  D) Topically

Question 2

The nurse, assisting with Phase I drug studies, is talking with a woman who asks, Why can't I participate in this study? What would be the nurse's best response?

A) Drugs pose a greater risk to women of reproductive age.
  B) Drugs are only tested on men because they are stronger.
  C) Women are more prone to adverse effects from medications.
  D) Drugs affect women differently than they affect women.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

macmac

Answer to Question 1

A
Amphotericin B is only administered by the IV route. It cannot be given intramuscularly, orally, or topically.

Answer to Question 2

A
Phase I drug trials usually involve healthy male volunteers because chemicals may exert an unknown and harmful effect on ova in women which could result in fetal damage when the woman becomes pregnant. Drugs are tested on both men and women, but women must be fully informed of risks and sign a consent stating they understand the potential for birth defects. Women are not more prone to adverse effects of medications. Although some drugs may affect women differently than men, this is a rationale for why drugs need to be tested on women, not an explanation of why women are not included in a phase I study.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library