Author Question: A 13-year-old child is started on atomoxetine (Strattera) for ADHD. The patient and his family ... (Read 99 times)

chads108

A 13-year-old child is started on atomoxetine (Strattera) for ADHD. The patient and his family should be taught about the peak plasma levels of the medication. He takes his medication at 07:00 AM.

When will this medication reach its peak plasma level? A) 08:00 to 09:00 AM
  B) 09:45 to 10:30 AM
  C) 10:30 to 11:45 AM
  D) 13:00 to 14:00 PM

Question 2

A patient has been prescribed omeprazole by her primary care provider.

When questioned by the nurse about her perceived effectiveness of the drug, the patient states, I think it's working quite well, and I've gotten in the routine of taking it every morning before breakfast. How should the nurse respond? A) That's good, but remember that you shouldn't take it on days when you're not having any symptoms.
  B) I'm glad it's working for you, but you'll probably find it works even better if you take it after eating.
  C) That's great. If you find later that it's not working as well, you might want to try taking it at bedtime.
  D) I'm glad to hear that. It sounds like you're taking it exactly like it should be taken.

jamesnevil303

Answer to Question 1

A
Atomoxetine is rapidly absorbed with peak plasma levels in 1 to 2 hours. If he takes the medication at 07:00 AM, it will peak at 08:00 to 09:00 AM.

Answer to Question 2

D
It is important that omeprazole be administered before food intake. Once-daily dosing is typical. The drug is not taken solely as a response to acute symptoms.