This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 69-year-old female responded well to inpatient treatment with a third-generation cephalosporin. ... (Read 88 times)

khang

A 69-year-old female responded well to inpatient treatment with a third-generation cephalosporin. After being largely symptom free for 48 hours, the woman has developed a fever of 38.6C and an elevated white cell count.

What phenomenon may account for this patient's current clinical presentation? A) The patient may be infected with microorganisms that were resistant to the cephalosporin.
  B) The patient may be experiencing a delayed (type IV) hypersensitivity reaction to the cephalosporin.
  C) The patient may be developing glomerulonephritis secondary to the nephrotoxic cephalosporin.
  D) The cephalosporin may have initially caused leukopenia and made the patient susceptible to secondary infection.

Question 2

An older adult patient has been using levothyroxine (Synthroid) for several years on an outpatient basis. The patient has recently sought care, with complaints that are consistent with hypothyroidism.

To which of the patient's following statements may the nurse attribute the decreased effect of Synthroid? A) I've been using a lot of antacids lately because of my indigestion.
  B) My daughter and I have started the Atkin's diet to try to lose some weight.
  C) Overall, I'd say that I'm under a lot of stress lately.
  D) I've stopped taking aspirin for my arthritis and started using Tylenol.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

srodz

Answer to Question 1

A
Patients treated with cephalosporins may be vulnerable to superinfections (infection after a previous infection, typically caused by microorganisms that are resistant to the antibiotics used earlier). Delayed hypersensitivity and renal involvement are highly unlikely. Antibiotics do not cause leukopenia.

Answer to Question 2

A
Antacids may decrease the effect of levothyroxine. Acetaminophen, stress, and high protein intake do not have this effect.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library