This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 69-year-old female responded well to inpatient treatment with a third-generation cephalosporin. ... (Read 90 times)

khang

A 69-year-old female responded well to inpatient treatment with a third-generation cephalosporin. After being largely symptom free for 48 hours, the woman has developed a fever of 38.6C and an elevated white cell count.

What phenomenon may account for this patient's current clinical presentation? A) The patient may be infected with microorganisms that were resistant to the cephalosporin.
  B) The patient may be experiencing a delayed (type IV) hypersensitivity reaction to the cephalosporin.
  C) The patient may be developing glomerulonephritis secondary to the nephrotoxic cephalosporin.
  D) The cephalosporin may have initially caused leukopenia and made the patient susceptible to secondary infection.

Question 2

An older adult patient has been using levothyroxine (Synthroid) for several years on an outpatient basis. The patient has recently sought care, with complaints that are consistent with hypothyroidism.

To which of the patient's following statements may the nurse attribute the decreased effect of Synthroid? A) I've been using a lot of antacids lately because of my indigestion.
  B) My daughter and I have started the Atkin's diet to try to lose some weight.
  C) Overall, I'd say that I'm under a lot of stress lately.
  D) I've stopped taking aspirin for my arthritis and started using Tylenol.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

srodz

Answer to Question 1

A
Patients treated with cephalosporins may be vulnerable to superinfections (infection after a previous infection, typically caused by microorganisms that are resistant to the antibiotics used earlier). Delayed hypersensitivity and renal involvement are highly unlikely. Antibiotics do not cause leukopenia.

Answer to Question 2

A
Antacids may decrease the effect of levothyroxine. Acetaminophen, stress, and high protein intake do not have this effect.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library