This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 34-year-old man was diagnosed with depression several weeks ago and began taking citalopram ... (Read 61 times)

cartlidgeashley

A 34-year-old man was diagnosed with depression several weeks ago and began taking citalopram (Celexa) 10 days ago.

He has now scheduled an appointment at the clinic and has told the nurse that he intends to stop taking the drug, stating, I don't feel any less depressed than I did before I started taking these pills. How should the nurse best respond to the patient's statement? A) I'll pass that information along to your care provider; a different drug might be more appropriate for you.
  B) I'd encourage you to continue with the drug; it can take several weeks before it improves your mood.
  C) People who take this drug often think they don't feel better because the changes in mood are incremental and subtle.
  D) It could be that one of the other medications or supplements you're taking is negating the effects of Celexa.

Question 2

A 55-year-old female patient was successfully treated for thyroid storm earlier in the year. In subsequent health education, the nurse should caution the patient against excessive intake of what foods?

A) Seafood and kelp
  B) Leafy green vegetables and beef
  C) Purine-rich foods
  D) Red wine and aged cheeses

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Mholman93

Answer to Question 1

B
Steady-state blood levels of SSRIs are achieved slowly, over several weeks. This aspect of pharmacokinetics is more likely than a possible drug interaction. The patient should expect to sense an eventual improvement in mood, and it would be premature to change medications.

Answer to Question 2

A
Iodine is associated with thyroid storm and is present in foods (especially seafood and kelp) and in radiographic contrast dyes. Reports of iodine-induced hyperthyroidism have been reported after ingestion of dietary sources of iodine.

cartlidgeashley

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library