This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She is scheduled to receive a medication to ... (Read 34 times)

D2AR0N

A patient has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She is scheduled to receive a medication to destroy the thyroid gland. Which medication will be administered?

A) Propylthiouracil (PTU)
  B) Methimazole (Tapazole)
  C) Saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI)
  D) Sodium iodide 131I (Iodotope)

Question 2

A patient is diagnosed with infective endocarditis. Which of the following medications is most effective in treating this patient?

A) Dicloxacillin
  B) Ampicillin
  C) Nafcillin
  D) Oxacillin

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joshbk44

Answer to Question 1

D
Sodium iodide 131I (Iodotope) is a radioactive isotope of iodine. Therapeutic doses act by emitting beta and gamma rays, which destroy thyroid tissue and thereby decrease the production of thyroid hormones. Propylthiouracil (PTU) is not administered to destroy thyroid tissue. Methimazole (Tapazole) is not administered to destroy thyroid tissue. Saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI) is not administered to destroy thyroid tissue.

Answer to Question 2

B
Health care providers use ampicillin in the treatment or prophylaxis of infective endocarditis. Dicloxacillin, nafcillin, and oxacillin are typically used to treat methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

D2AR0N

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

kswal303

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library