This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient tells the nurse, I took my sleeping pill yesterday evening, but it didn't seem to work for ... (Read 16 times)

rayancarla1

A patient tells the nurse, I took my sleeping pill yesterday evening, but it didn't seem to work for me like it usually does. The nurse should consider which of the following variables that can affect drug absorption? Select all that apply.

A) GI function
  B) Blood flow to the site of administration
  C) The presence of other drugs
  D) Route of administration
  E) The presence of receptor agonists

Question 2

A 3-year-old child is seen in the pediatric office for a dry, hacking cough. The mother is requesting a prescription for dextromethorphan.

In providing patient education, which of the following provides the most effective teaching regarding the use of dextromethorphan in children? A) Dextromethorphan suppresses cough in children.
  B) Dextromethorphan is ineffective in children.
  C) Dextromethorphan must be combined with codeine.
  D) Dextromethorphan raises blood pressure in children.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

31809pancho

Answer to Question 1

A, B, C, D
Numerous factors affect the rate and extent of drug absorption, including dosage form, route of administration, blood flow to the site of administration, GI function, the presence of food or other drugs, and other variables. Agonist activity is a relevant variable, but this is not an aspect of absorption.

Answer to Question 2

B
Although antitussives continue to be used and adults report beneficial effect in reducing cough, antitussives, particularly dextromethorphan, have not been demonstrated to be effective in children and adolescents. Adverse effects of dextromethorphan in children include behavioral disturbances and respiratory depression, not high blood pressure.

rayancarla1

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

Bigfoot1984

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library