This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has hypothyroidism and is obese begins therapy with orlistat. The primary care NP ... (Read 20 times)

WhattoUnderstand

A patient who has hypothyroidism and is obese begins therapy with orlistat. The primary care NP teaches the patient about this drug and then asks the patient to describe its use.

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching? a. I may eat a high-fat diet while taking orlistat.
  b. I can expect the most benefit in the first few months.
  c. I should take fat-soluble vitamins each time I take orlistat.
  d. I should take an increased dose of levothyroxine while I am taking orlistat.

Question 2

A patient comes to the clinic to discuss weight loss. The primary care NP notes a BMI of 32 and performs a health risk assessment that reveals no obesity-related risk factors. The NP should recommend:

a. orlistat (Xenical).
  b. surgical intervention.
  c. changes in diet and exercise.
  d. changes in diet and exercise along with short-term phentermine.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

shayla

Answer to Question 1

B
In long-term studies on the use of orlistat, most of the weight loss occurred during the first months. Patients should not be counseled to eat a high-fat diet; the maximum amount of fat excretion is around 25 to 30. Patients should take fat-soluble vitamins, but the vitamins should be taken at different times and not with orlistat. Orlistat interferes with levothyroxine absorption, so the two drugs should be taken at different times, and thyroid levels should be monitored with an increase in levothyroxine dose only when indicated by thyroid levels.

Answer to Question 2

D
This patient is grade 2 overweight (obese), so a short-term course of phentermine is useful, especially as there are no cardiovascular risk factors. Orlistat is a second-line drug. Surgical intervention is indicated when other therapies fail. Changes in diet and physical activity alone do not bring immediate results, and patients often get discouraged.

WhattoUnderstand

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

sarah_brady415

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library