This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is instructing a patient recently diagnosed with GERD. Which statement by the patient ... (Read 17 times)

piesebel

The nurse is instructing a patient recently diagnosed with GERD. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I will avoid foods high in fat.
  b. I will eat small frequent meals and have a snack at bedtime.
  c. Orange juice may aggravate my symptoms.
  d. I will wait 2 hours after eating lunch before lying down for a nap.

Question 2

A patient with PUD asks the nurse about the action of prokinetic medications. Which explanation by the nurse is accurate?

a. It blocks the formation of hydrochloric acid, reducing irritation of the gastric mucosa.
  b. It increases the lower esophageal sphincter muscle pressure and peristalsis.
  c. It reduces the secretion of saliva, hydrochloric acid, pepsin, bile, and other enzymatic fluids.
  d. It decreases the volume of hydrochloric acid produced, increasing the gastric pH.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mmpiza

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Late-night snacks need to be avoided to reduce increased gastric secretions. The patient with GERD needs to avoid foods high in fat and should wait 2 hours after eating before lying down. Orange juice may aggravate the symptoms of a patient with GERD.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Prokinetic agents increase the lower esophageal sphincter muscle pressure and peristalsis, hastening emptying of the stomach to reduce reflux. Proton pump inhibitors block the formation of hydrochloric acid, reducing irritation of the gastric mucosa. Antispasmodic agents reduce the secretion of saliva, hydrochloric acid, pepsin, bile, and other enzymatic fluids necessary for digestion and decrease GI motility and secretions. H2 antagonists decrease the volume of hydrochloric acid produced, increasing the gastric pH, which results in decreased irritation to the gastric mucosa.

piesebel

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Gracias!

mcabuhat

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library