This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has provided information to a patient with diabetes who has been prescribed a ... (Read 9 times)

rl

The nurse has provided information to a patient with diabetes who has been prescribed a beta-adrenergic blocker. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. If I get dizzy, I will stop taking the medication.
  b. I may not have my usual symptoms of low blood sugars.
  c. My dosage may need adjustment if I start taking any NSAIDs.
  d. I will need to be evaluated in a few weeks to see if my dosage is effective.

Question 2

When displayed by the patient, which symptom would be most indicative to the nurse to withhold a recently prescribed beta-adrenergic blocker?

a. Dizziness
  b. Peripheral edema
  c. Hyperglycemia
  d. Wheezing

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aprice35067

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients should never stop taking beta-adrenergic blocking agents suddenly because this can result in exacerbation of angina symptoms. Dizziness should resolve with therapy and patients should be taught how to manage this side effect safely. The patient may not experience the usual symptoms of low blood sugar. The dosage of the beta blocker may need to be increased to compensate for the antihypertensive inhibitory effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). The patient will need to be evaluated to see if the dosage is effective.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Wheezing in a patient taking beta-adrenergic blockers could indicate the adverse effect of bronchial constriction. Dizziness may indicate changes in blood pressure and safety precautions should be taken, but the medication does not have to be stopped. Peripheral edema may indicate cardiovascular problems, but the medication may have been prescribed to help these conditions. It would not warrant stopping the medication. Hyperglycemia may indicate a need for other interventions but would not be a reason to stop the medication.

rl

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

tkempin

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library