This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has provided information to a patient with diabetes who has been prescribed a ... (Read 10 times)

rl

The nurse has provided information to a patient with diabetes who has been prescribed a beta-adrenergic blocker. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. If I get dizzy, I will stop taking the medication.
  b. I may not have my usual symptoms of low blood sugars.
  c. My dosage may need adjustment if I start taking any NSAIDs.
  d. I will need to be evaluated in a few weeks to see if my dosage is effective.

Question 2

When displayed by the patient, which symptom would be most indicative to the nurse to withhold a recently prescribed beta-adrenergic blocker?

a. Dizziness
  b. Peripheral edema
  c. Hyperglycemia
  d. Wheezing

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aprice35067

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients should never stop taking beta-adrenergic blocking agents suddenly because this can result in exacerbation of angina symptoms. Dizziness should resolve with therapy and patients should be taught how to manage this side effect safely. The patient may not experience the usual symptoms of low blood sugar. The dosage of the beta blocker may need to be increased to compensate for the antihypertensive inhibitory effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). The patient will need to be evaluated to see if the dosage is effective.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Wheezing in a patient taking beta-adrenergic blockers could indicate the adverse effect of bronchial constriction. Dizziness may indicate changes in blood pressure and safety precautions should be taken, but the medication does not have to be stopped. Peripheral edema may indicate cardiovascular problems, but the medication may have been prescribed to help these conditions. It would not warrant stopping the medication. Hyperglycemia may indicate a need for other interventions but would not be a reason to stop the medication.

rl

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
:D TYSM

parker125

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library