This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The health care provider orders diazepam (Valium) 10 mg IV stat for a patient who was admitted with ... (Read 22 times)

jilianpiloj

The health care provider orders diazepam (Valium) 10 mg IV stat for a patient who was admitted with status epilepticus.

What important nursing interventions(s) associated with administration of this medication IV should the nurse perform? (Select all that apply.)
  a. Apply a cardiac monitor to the patient to assess for continuous heart rate, if not already done.
  b. Administer the prescribed dosage over 1 minute.
  c. Mix diazepam in a primary IV solution to avoid overdosing.
  d. Continuously assess the patient's airway.
  e. Obtain the correct dose (10 mg) and administer over slow IV push.

Question 2

The nurse is providing discharge teaching to a patient prescribed phenytoin (Dilantin) for management of a seizure disorder. Which patient statement indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I need to avoid or limit caffeine intake.
  b. I will check with the pharmacist before taking over-the-counter medication.
  c. If I develop enlarged gums, I will stop taking the medication.
  d. It is important for me to take my medicine at the same time daily.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

perkiness

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, D, E
It is important to monitor the patient for bradycardia during administration of diazepam.
During a seizure of any type, it is important to assess for airway patency continuously. Diazepam should be administered slowly by the IV route at a rate of no more than 5 mg/min. For status epilepticus, 5 to 10 mg is typical, preferably by slow IV. The dose may be repeated every 5 to 10 minutes, up to a total dosage of 30 mg. If necessary, repeat therapy in 2 to 4 hours; other drugs are preferable for long-term control. Diazepam is incompatible with most other IV medications and should not be combined.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Medications are not discontinued unless approved by the health care provider. Gingival hyperplasia is a common adverse effect that can be reduced by oral hygiene. Limiting caffeine intake, checking with the pharmacist about any additional over-the-counter medications, and taking the medication at the same time every day are appropriate actions by the patient.

jilianpiloj

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Dnite

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library