This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The clients asks the nurse what the difference is between antacids and proton pump inhibitors. The ... (Read 9 times)

cagreen833

The clients asks the nurse what the difference is between antacids and proton pump inhibitors. The nurse's best response is:

a. Antacids are better for long-term use than proton pump inhibitors.
  b. Antacids heal ulcers and proton pump inhibitors treat the pain associated with peptic ulcers.
  c. You should really asked your doctor which one he prefers you use.
  d. Antacids neutralize gastric acid and proton pump inhibitors prevent the secretion of gastric acid.

Question 2

When teaching a client about antacids, which comment by the client indicates further teaching is needed:

a. I should ask my doctor for a medication other than indomethicin for my arthritis.
  b. Antacids can interfere with the elimination of my quinidine.
  c. Taking antacids will not affect my heart medication (digoxin).
  d. I should not take aspirin for pain, but use acetaminophen instead.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ASDFGJLO

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D

Feedback
A Incorrect: This is a false statement.
B Incorrect: This is just the opposite of the facts.
C Incorrect: This does not answer the client's question.
D Correct: This is a factual and responsive answer to the client's question.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C

Feedback
A Incorrect: This indicates client understanding of indomethicin being ulcerogenic.
B Incorrect: This indicates client understanding.
C Correct: Antacids decrease the absorption of digoxin, thus alter its effectiveness.
D Incorrect: This indicates client understanding that aspirin is ulcerogenic.

cagreen833

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

deja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library