This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The clients asks the nurse what the difference is between antacids and proton pump inhibitors. The ... (Read 12 times)

cagreen833

The clients asks the nurse what the difference is between antacids and proton pump inhibitors. The nurse's best response is:

a. Antacids are better for long-term use than proton pump inhibitors.
  b. Antacids heal ulcers and proton pump inhibitors treat the pain associated with peptic ulcers.
  c. You should really asked your doctor which one he prefers you use.
  d. Antacids neutralize gastric acid and proton pump inhibitors prevent the secretion of gastric acid.

Question 2

When teaching a client about antacids, which comment by the client indicates further teaching is needed:

a. I should ask my doctor for a medication other than indomethicin for my arthritis.
  b. Antacids can interfere with the elimination of my quinidine.
  c. Taking antacids will not affect my heart medication (digoxin).
  d. I should not take aspirin for pain, but use acetaminophen instead.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ASDFGJLO

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D

Feedback
A Incorrect: This is a false statement.
B Incorrect: This is just the opposite of the facts.
C Incorrect: This does not answer the client's question.
D Correct: This is a factual and responsive answer to the client's question.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C

Feedback
A Incorrect: This indicates client understanding of indomethicin being ulcerogenic.
B Incorrect: This indicates client understanding.
C Correct: Antacids decrease the absorption of digoxin, thus alter its effectiveness.
D Incorrect: This indicates client understanding that aspirin is ulcerogenic.

cagreen833

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ultraflyy23

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library