This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A very long wire lies in a plane with a short wire segment. The long wire carries current I, while ... (Read 455 times)

Chelseaamend

A very long wire lies in a plane with a short wire segment. The long wire carries current I, while the short wire of length L carries current i. The two wires are parallel to each other. Which of the following statements are true?

A. The direction of the magnetic force exerted by the long wire on the short wire is directed away from the long wire.
   B. The magnitude of the force on the short wire is 0IiL/2d.
   C. The long wire experiences a force of exactly the same magnitude as the force experienced by the short wire.

1.A only
  2.B only
  3.C only
  4.A and B
  5.A and C
  6.B and C
  7.A, B, and C
  8.None of them are true

Question 2

Consider a long thin straight wire with a current I. Which of the following statements about the magnetic field lines is true?

A. Field lines are parallel to the wire.
   B. Field lines are perpendicular to the wire.
   C. Field lines are directed radially away from the wire.
   D. Field lines are circles centered on any point on the wire.

1.A only
  2.B only
  3.C only
  4.D only
  5.A and C only
  6.B and D only
  7.B and C only
  8.None of them is true.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brittanywood

Answer to Question 1

Answer to Question 2

Chelseaamend

Reply 2 on: Jul 28, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

bigcheese9

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library