This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: When your best friend gets divorced, her mother tells her, I'm sorry for you, but I knew this would ... (Read 15 times)

skymedlock

When your best friend gets divorced, her mother tells her, I'm sorry for you, but I knew this would eventually happen. You were never really right for each other. This is an example of the:

a) framing effect.
   b) availability heuristic.
   c) hindsight bias.
   d) illusory correlation.

Question 2

Hastie, Shkade & Payne (1999) looked at the hindsight bias in the context of (mock) civil litigation.

In a foresight condition, participants were told that a dangerous situation was developing along a railroad line, and given an extensive set of facts, were then asked to estimate the forseeability of an accident. In the hindsight condition, participants were given the same set of facts, but were told that the accident had already occurred. They were also asked to predict the forseeability of the accident. Participants in the hindsight condition were more likely than those in the foresight condition to judge the defendant as:
   a) liable.
   b) reckless.
   c) disregarding grave risk.
   d) all of the above.