Author Question: If the claims made for St. John's wort are true (i.e., beneficial effects, side effects, time it ... (Read 31 times)

abc

If the claims made for St. John's wort are true (i.e., beneficial effects, side effects, time it takes to produce an effect), explain why LJ did not feel an effect after taking it a few days.

Question 2

Explain the effects prednisone, cyclosporine, and rapamune will have on LJ's diet and how his diet should be adjusted accordingly.

b614102004

Answer to Question 1

It is believed that St. John's wort has to be taken for weeks or months before an effect is seen.

Answer to Question 2

All three together can have a profound effect on LJ's diet by affecting several systems, i.e. carbohydrate metabolism (glycogen deposition, and causes glycogen conversion to glucose), protein metabolism (protein catabolism and conversion to glucose via gluconeogenesis), and fat metabolism (promotes fat deposition in adipose tissue). LJ's height and weight were not given, so depending on his weight status, he may need a caloric restriction with an increase in protein if his kidneys can tolerate it.