This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Differentiate between lipid administration as a three-in-one admixture or as piggy back. Include the ... (Read 6 times)

kwoodring

Differentiate between lipid administration as a three-in-one admixture or as piggy back. Include the advantages, disadvantages, and precautions of each.

Question 2

Would you give Mrs. M I.V. lipids? Why or why not?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Kaytorgator

Answer to Question 1

Mixtures are available that contain all three macronutrientsprote in, carbohydrate, and fatspremixed in one container. There are also methods of delivering the macronutrients from one container but the lipids are attached to the delivery bag and not actually in the same bag as the protein and carbohydrate. Advantages are fewer I.V.s to monitor, fewer entry sites needed. Disadvantages include the danger of precipitates occurring in the mixture and not being detected because of the cloudiness caused by the lipids.

Answer to Question 2

Yes. The I.V. lipids can help provide adequate kcals without giving excessive glucose. With the proper mix of lipids, glucose, and protein, fewer complications with liver functions and glucose tolerance can be expected. Weinsier et al.8 point out the benefits of daily lipids, which include: nitrogen balance, faster synthesis of proteins, such as albumin, improved glucose tolerance, lowered insulin levels; patients with ventilatory failure, CO2 retention and hypoxemia benefit from the lesser CO2 production associated with lipid oxidation.

kwoodring

Reply 2 on: Aug 2, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

lcapri7

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library