This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: If someone has a limited food budget and becomes malnourished because they only eat one small meal a ... (Read 45 times)

fbq8i

If someone has a limited food budget and becomes malnourished because they only eat one small meal a day, they would have

a. primary malnutrition.
  b. secondary malnutrition.
  c. anorexia nervosa.
  d. iatrogenic malnutrition.

Question 2

A nurse administering a tube feeding for a client on a ventilator should be sure to place the client in a semi-recumbent position to prevent:

1. Overfeeding.
   2. GERD.
   3. Early satiety.
   4. Aspiration.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Bigfoot1984

Answer to Question 1

A
Eating only one small meal a day results in inadequate intake of nutrients; this is primary malnu-trition. Secondary PEM results from inadequate nutrient consumption caused by some disease state that impairs food consumption, interferes with nutrient absorption, or increases nutritional requirements. Anorexia nervosa refers to voluntary limitation of food intake because of a dis-torted body image. Iatrogenic malnutrition refers to poor food intake in hospitalized patients be-cause of hospital routines including tests and treatments.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Clients on ventilators who are tube fed should be placed in a semi-recumbent position to reduce the risk of aspiration. Symptoms of GERD occur after eating. Overfeeding may result in increased levels of carbon dioxide which is an end product of macronutrient metabolism. Early satiety may result in a reduction of nutrients and result in malnutrition.

fbq8i

Reply 2 on: Aug 2, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

nyrave

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library