This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: How are METs used to prescribe intensity of exercise? ... (Read 30 times)

newyorker26

How are METs used to prescribe intensity of exercise?

Question 2

List three advantages and three disadvantages of embarking, in earnest, on an exercise program.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ririgirl15

Answer to Question 1

An alternative method of prescribing exercise intensity is through metabolic equivalents (METs). One MET represents the rate of energy expenditure at rest, that is, 3.5 mL/kg/min. METs are used to measure the intensity of physical activity and exercise in multiples of the resting metabolic rate. At an intensity level of 10 METs, the activity requires a ten-fold increase in the resting energy requirement (or approximately 35 mL/kg/min). MET levels for a given activity vary according to the effort expended. The harder a person exercises, the higher the MET level.

Answer to Question 2

Answers may include any three of the following advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of incorporating exercise into your lifestyle might include the following:

1 ) It will make me feel better.

2 ) I will lose weight.

3 ) I will have more energy.

4 ) It will lower my risk for chronic diseases.

Disadvantages might include the following:

1 ) I don't want to take the time.

2 ) I'm too out of shape.

3 ) There's no good place to exercise.

4 ) I don't have the willpower to do it.

newyorker26

Reply 2 on: Aug 6, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

frankwu0507

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library