This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Developmental Trends TableThe table below describes behaviors that youngsters at five different age ... (Read 42 times)

jilianpiloj

Developmental Trends Table
The table below describes behaviors that youngsters at five different age levels exhibit. For each of these behaviors, the table identifies one or more relevant cognitive or metacognitive processes, offers an implication for working with children of that age group, or both. Apply what you've learned about children's cognitive processes to fill in the empty cells in the table.

Identifying Children's Cognitive Processes
AgeA Youngster's ExperienceDevelopmental Concepts
Identifying Cognitive Processes
Implications
Promoting Effective Processes
Infancy
(Birth-2)
One Monday morning, 13-month-old Miguel meets his child care provider's new kitten for the first time. Miguel isn't sure what to make of this creature. When he sees that his caregiver is happily petting the kitten, he smiles and reaches out to touch the kitten's head.Miguel is engaging in social referencing, checking to see how a trusted adult reacts to the new kitten and then responding in a similar way. Social referencing is an aspect of intersubjectivity, in which participants in a social situation have some awareness of what one another is looking at, thinking, or feeling.As you introduce infants to new people, animals, and objects, model appropriate ways of interacting with and responding to them.
Early Childhood
(2-6)
A kindergarten teacher is reading Mercer Mayer's What Do You Do with a Kangaroo? to his class. As he often does during story time, he picks up a globe and points to the spot where the story takes place — in this case, Australia. "Most kangaroos live here in Australia," he says. "How come they don't fall off the world?" 5-year-old Andrea asks.Listen carefully to children's comments for clues regarding their beliefs about their physical and social worlds. With age-appropriate explanations, nudge them toward more accurate understandings.
Middle Childhood
(6-10)
Although 10-year-old Kendall seems quite capable of doing typical fifth-grade work, he rarely stays on task for more than a few minutes during the school day. He is especially distractible during small-group activities and on other occasions when class activities are fairly noisy. He tends to remember very little of the material that is presented during such times.Attention is critical for getting information into working memory and then (with further processing) into long-term memory. Distractibility is common for children in the preschool and early elementary years, but it is unusual for a boy as old as Kendall. Quite possibly Kendall has an undiagnosed learning disability or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Early Adolescence (10-14)
When Faith was in elementary school, she was a conscientious student who earned mostly As and Bs. Now, as a 13-year-old seventh grader, she often forgets to do her homework — sometimes she doesn't even know what her homework assignments are — and her grades have slipped to Cs and Ds. "I need to get my grades up," she tells the school counselor, "because I want to go to college. Next year I promise to work harder."Faith apparently has not acquired many self-regulated learning skills: setting goals, planning study time, and so on. Such skills become increasingly important as students move through the grade levels and are expected to work more independently.
When students show a decline in academic achievement in middle school or junior high, assume that lack of self-regulation skills, rather than lack of motivation, is the culprit. But don't expect students to acquire self-regulated learning skills on their own. Instead, actively teach goal setting, self-motivation strategies, comprehension monitoring, and so on.
Late Adolescence (14-18)
After failing the first exam in his Advanced Placement biology class, 17-year-old John tells his science teacher, "I've never done so poorly on a test before, and I studied really hard for it. I repeated everything over and over until I knew it cold!" The teacher looks at John's notebook for the class and responds, "I think I see what the problem is. Your class notes are nothing more than facts and definitions. But my test asked you to apply what you've learned to real-life situations and problems."Especially at the high school level, encourage students to organize and make sense of information, rather than simply to repeat it verbatim. Help them discover that true mastery of a topic involves understanding how concepts and ideas relate to one another and to real-world situations and problems.