This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Discuss Meichenbaum's stress inoculation training (SIT). What concept is it based on? What ... (Read 26 times)

Themember4

Discuss Meichenbaum's stress inoculation training (SIT). What concept is it based on? What combination of cognitive and behavioral skill-building approaches does it use? Elaborate on its three phases.

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

What questions can one ask to self-challenge irrational beliefs?

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

abctaiwan

Answer to Question 1

Donald Meichenbaum (1985, 1996) developed stress inoculation training (SIT) as a cognitive-behavior modification training program to prepare individuals for stressful future encounters or to treat current excess stress. The inoculation concept is based on the principle of fortifying individuals with coping skills (i.e., inoculating them) so that when they encounter anticipated stressful events they will be prepared. SIT uses a combination of cognitive and behavioral skill-building approaches such as educating, raising self-awareness (i.e., self-monitoring), cognitive restructuring, problem solving, relaxation training, and rehearsing. It consists of three phases called the (1) conceptual educational phase, (2) skills acquisition and skills consolidation phase, and (3) application and follow-through phase (Meichenbaum, 2007, p. 501).

In the conceptual educational phase the goal is to help clients understand their stress-related problems through collecting information and then presenting the information to them in a collaborative manner that engenders hope. The second phase emphasizes the development of coping skills for dealing with target stressors. These may include use of coping self-statements, anger management, cognitive restructuring, relaxation, assertiveness training, problem solving, use of social support, emotion-focused coping to deal with uncontrollable stressors, and so forth. Last, the application and follow-through phase involves practice applying these skills during increasing levels of stress. Role playing, modeling, and exposure to real life stress situations are used as well as techniques to prevent relapse such as learning to identify and rehearse for high risk situations.

Answer to Question 2

We can self-challenge our irrational beliefs through asking ourselves questions such as (1) What evidence supports or refutes this belief? (2) Is this belief rational or logical? (3) What is a more rational belief that I can substitute for this irrational belief? For example, a perfectionist can use self-talk, the silent internal dialogue we have with ourselves, to say I would like to have done well on the exam, but even though I didn't do well, I am still a worthwhile person who in the past did well on other exams and will do well in the future.. In this way, the absolutistic language of have to is substituted with more flexible language such as I would like to and the consequences are not seen as a reflection of self-worth or future catastrophes.

Themember4

Reply 2 on: Jun 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library