This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Describe the measures a phlebotomist could take to improve communication in the following scenario. ... (Read 51 times)

khang

Describe the measures a phlebotomist could take to improve communication in the following scenario.

A hospitalized elderly patient with a slight hearing impairment has several family members in the room trying to repeat all conversations to the patient, and the television is loudly broadcasting the patient's favorite program.
  What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Implied consent occurs when the patient's nonverbal behavior indicates agreement.

Indicate whether this statement is true or false.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ky860224

Answer to Question 1

Answer: There are a variety of practical strategies that could facilitate communication in this scenario. Distractions such as the television could be handled by asking the patient if he or she would mind turning the television off or putting the volume on Mute for a short while. (The phlebotomist should remember to turn up the volume at the completion of the interaction.) If the patient does not want to miss the program, and if the timing of the interaction is not important, then the phlebotomist can offer to come back at a time when the program is over. Regarding the relatives, it is acceptable for the phlebotomist to ask them, Would you mind if Mr. Smith (the patient) and I have a few minutes together; you may wait outside during the procedure and I will call you in as soon as we finish. The patient may prefer to have a relative in the room; this is acceptable if it does not interfere with the interaction. There are several options to cope with the patient's hearing loss, including speaking slightly louder (but not shouting) while facing the patient directly, or using written instructions.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: TRUE

khang

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

cassie_ragen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

Vaccines prevent between 2.5 and 4 million deaths every year.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library