Author Question: A 72-year-old patient with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) has just had photodynamic therapy. ... (Read 21 times)

Pineapplelove6

A 72-year-old patient with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) has just had photodynamic therapy. Which statement by the patient indicates that the discharge teaching has been effective?

a. I will need to use bright lights to read for at least the next week.
  b. I will use drops to keep my pupils dilated until my appointment.
  c. I will not use facial lotions near my eyes during the recovery period.
  d. I will cover up with long-sleeved shirts and pants for the next 5 days.

Question 2

A patient with glaucoma who has been using timolol (Timoptic) drops for several days tells the nurse that the eye drops cause eye burning and visual blurriness for a short time after administration. The best response to the patient's statement is

a. Those symptoms may indicate a need for an increased dosage of the eye drops.
  b. The drops are uncomfortable, but it is important to use them to retain your vision.
  c. These are normal side effects of the drug, which should be less noticeable with time.
  d. Notify your health care provider so that different eye drops can be prescribed for you.

Zebsrer

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The photosensitizing drug used for photodynamic therapy is activated by exposure to bright light and can cause burns in areas exposed to light for 5 days after the treatment. There are no restrictions on the use of facial lotions, medications to keep the pupils dilated would not be appropriate, and bright lights would increase the risk for damage caused by the treatment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients should be instructed that eye discomfort and visual blurring are expected side effects of the ophthalmic drops but that the drops must be used to prevent further visual-field loss. The temporary burning and visual blurriness might not lessen with ongoing use, are not relieved by avoiding systemic absorption, and are not symptoms of glaucoma.