This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has fibromyalgia tells the nurse, I feel depressed because I ache too much to play ... (Read 23 times)

saliriagwu

A patient who has fibromyalgia tells the nurse, I feel depressed because I ache too much to play golf. The patient says the pain is usually at a level 7 (0 to 10 scale).

Which patient goal has the highest priority when the nurse is developing the treatment plan?
  a. The patient will exhibit fewer signs of depression.
  b. The patient will say that the aching has decreased.
  c. The patient will state that pain is at a level 2 of 10.
  d. The patient will be able to play 1 to 2 rounds of golf.

Question 2

A patient who has just started taking sustained-release morphine sulfate (MS Contin) for chronic arthritic joint pain following a traumatic injury complains of nausea and abdominal fullness. Which action should the nurse take initially?

a. Administer the ordered antiemetic medication.
  b. Tell the patient that the nausea will subside in about a week.
  c. Order the patient a clear liquid diet until the nausea decreases.
  d. Consult with the health care provider about using a different opioid.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dmurph1496

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
For chronic pain, patients are encouraged to set functional goals such as being able to perform daily activities and hobbies. The patient has identified playing golf as the desired activity, so a pain level of 2 of 10 or a decrease in aching would be less useful in evaluating successful treatment. The nurse should also assess for depression, but the patient has identified the depression as being due to the inability to play golf, so the goal of being able to play 1 or 2 rounds of golf is the most appropriate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Nausea is frequently experienced with the initiation of opioid therapy, and antiemetics usually are prescribed to treat this expected side effect. There is no indication that a different opioid is needed, although if the nausea persists, the health care provider may order a change of opioid. Although tolerance develops and the nausea will subside in about a week, it is not appropriate to allow the patient to continue to be nauseated. A clear liquid diet may decrease the nausea, but the best choice would be to administer the antiemetic medication and allow the patient to eat.

saliriagwu

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

Jossy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

Intradermal injections are somewhat difficult to correctly administer because the skin layers are so thin that it is easy to accidentally punch through to the deeper subcutaneous layer.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library