This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been given instructions about a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Which patient statement ... (Read 35 times)

kaid0807

A patient has been given instructions about a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Which patient statement indicates further teaching is needed?

1. I should be able to go home within a day after the procedure.
  2. I will probably have bandages over the puncture sites.
  3. I am glad I won't need to have an open cholecystectomy.
  4. I will tell the nurse if I feel nauseated after surgery.

Question 2

A patient scheduled for a laparoscopic cholecystectomy asks the nurse why a surgical consent for a laparotomy must also be completed. How should the nurse respond?

1. By signing both now, you'll never have to sign another one. We'll keep the extra on file for the future.
  2. Surgeons base their decision on whether to do the procedure laparoscopically or with a full incision on many factors. With this signed, the surgeon has options.
  3. You will be ready if the laparoscopic operating rooms are busy today.
  4. The surgeon will start the procedure laproscopically but may need to make an incision to complete the procedure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aliotak

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
A patient with a laparoscopic cholecystectomy is at risk for needing an open cholecystectomy if the procedure cannot be completed laparoscopically due to complications. Patients are typically discharged within 24 hours. The patient will likely have adhesive bandages over the puncture sites. Nausea is common after surgery and should be reported to the nurse.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
There is a risk that a laparoscopic cholecystectomy may be converted to a laparotomy (surgical opening into the abdomen) during the procedure. Surgical consents are not signed in advance of procedures. The consent is not intended to provide the surgeon with options. The busyness of the operating rooms has nothing to do with the consent form.

kaid0807

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

CAPTAINAMERICA

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Less than one of every three adults with high LDL cholesterol has the condition under control. Only 48.1% with the condition are being treated for it.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library