This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been given instructions about a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Which patient statement ... (Read 36 times)

kaid0807

A patient has been given instructions about a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Which patient statement indicates further teaching is needed?

1. I should be able to go home within a day after the procedure.
  2. I will probably have bandages over the puncture sites.
  3. I am glad I won't need to have an open cholecystectomy.
  4. I will tell the nurse if I feel nauseated after surgery.

Question 2

A patient scheduled for a laparoscopic cholecystectomy asks the nurse why a surgical consent for a laparotomy must also be completed. How should the nurse respond?

1. By signing both now, you'll never have to sign another one. We'll keep the extra on file for the future.
  2. Surgeons base their decision on whether to do the procedure laparoscopically or with a full incision on many factors. With this signed, the surgeon has options.
  3. You will be ready if the laparoscopic operating rooms are busy today.
  4. The surgeon will start the procedure laproscopically but may need to make an incision to complete the procedure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aliotak

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
A patient with a laparoscopic cholecystectomy is at risk for needing an open cholecystectomy if the procedure cannot be completed laparoscopically due to complications. Patients are typically discharged within 24 hours. The patient will likely have adhesive bandages over the puncture sites. Nausea is common after surgery and should be reported to the nurse.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
There is a risk that a laparoscopic cholecystectomy may be converted to a laparotomy (surgical opening into the abdomen) during the procedure. Surgical consents are not signed in advance of procedures. The consent is not intended to provide the surgeon with options. The busyness of the operating rooms has nothing to do with the consent form.

kaid0807

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

helenmarkerine

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

Automated pill dispensing systems have alarms to alert patients when the correct dosing time has arrived. Most systems work with many varieties of medications, so patients who are taking a variety of drugs can still be in control of their dose regimen.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library