This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who is newly diagnosed with short bowel syndrome asks, Now what do I need to do? I'm so ... (Read 28 times)

newbem

A patient who is newly diagnosed with short bowel syndrome asks, Now what do I need to do? I'm so tired of being sick. How should the nurse respond to this patient?

1. Dealing with this problem will be difficult in the beginning.
  2. Sometimes minor diet changes will alleviate the problem.
  3. I think more surgery is in your future.
  4. Short bowel syndrome is a long-term challenge.

Question 2

A patient with Crohn disease is recovering from a bowel resection. What does the nurse realize will most likely occur in this patient?

1. The patient will never have another recurrence of the disease.
  2. The patient will possibly have a recurrence in another portion of the bowel.
  3. The patient will develop ulcerative colitis.
  4. The patient will experience intestinal strictures.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

whitcassie

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Management of short bowel syndrome focuses on alleviating symptoms. Patients often simply require frequent, small, high-kilocalorie, and high-protein feedings. Advising the patient there will initially be difficulty promotes negativity and may not be correct information. Surgery is not utilized to manage short bowel syndrome. The patient is seeking information related to the management of the condition. Advising the patient it will be a life-long challenge does not address their verbalized concerns.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
The disease process for Crohn disease tends to recur in other areas following removal of affected bowel segments. The processes involving Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis are different. There is no increased risk for the development of intestinal strictures.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library