This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client wants to use the vaginal sponge as a method of contraception. Which statements indicate ... (Read 35 times)

sabina

A client wants to use the vaginal sponge as a method of contraception. Which statements indicate that the client needs further instruction?

Select all that apply.
  A) I need to leave it in no longer than 6 hours.
  B) I need to use a lubricant prior to insertion.
  C) I can insert the sponge no longer than 24 hours prior to having intercourse.
  D) I need to add spermicidal cream prior to intercourse.
  E) I need to moisten it with water prior to use.

Question 2

A female client asks what causes the symptoms of menopause. On which hormonal function should the nurse focus when responding to this client's question?

A) Increased estrogen levels
  B) Increased progesterone levels
  C) Estrone as the major hormone
  D) Increased luteinizing hormone levels

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lucas dlamini

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A, B, D

A lubricant is not needed, as the sponge is moistened with water prior to insertion. Spermicidal cream is not needed, because it is already in the sponge. To activate the spermicide in the vaginal sponge, it must be moistened thoroughly with water. The sponge can be inserted and remain in place for 24 hours.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C

As ovarian function decreases, the production of estrogen decreases and is replaced by estrone as the major ovarian estrogen. Estrone is produced in small amounts and has only about one-tenth the biological activity of estradiol. With decreased ovarian function, the second ovarian hormone, progesterone, which is produced during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle, also is markedly reduced.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library