This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse completes teaching for a young adult client diagnosed with Parkinson disease (PD). Which ... (Read 33 times)

asan beg

The nurse completes teaching for a young adult client diagnosed with Parkinson disease (PD). Which client statement indicates teaching has been effective?

A) I could have prevented PD with diet and exercise.
  B) I probably have a genetic mutation that caused PD.
  C) My brain has too much of a chemical called dopamine.
  D) Most people get PD when they are my age.

Question 2

A client is evaluated for Parkinson disease (PD). Which findings on the Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) would suggest a positive finding for PD?

Select all that apply.
  A) Diarrhea
  B) Dystonia
  C) Retropulsion
  D) Hyperphonia
  E) Festination

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

rekilledagain

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

Early-onset Parkinson disease is likely due to a genetic mutation. Increasing age is a risk factor for PD; diagnosis for a young adult is uncommon. In PD there is a deficit of available dopamine. Although a healthy diet avoiding pesticides is recommended, it is not a proven causative agent.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B, C, E

The UPDRS rates the client in 42 different areas of function. Positive findings for PD are retropulsion (the tendency to fall backward), festination (rapid walking as if trying to run) and dystonia (twisting and repetitive movements). Diarrhea and hyperphonia (loud voice) are not symptoms of PD. Constipation and hypophonia (soft voice) are symptoms of PD.

asan beg

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

carojassy25

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library