This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse completes teaching for a young adult client diagnosed with Parkinson disease (PD). Which ... (Read 34 times)

asan beg

The nurse completes teaching for a young adult client diagnosed with Parkinson disease (PD). Which client statement indicates teaching has been effective?

A) I could have prevented PD with diet and exercise.
  B) I probably have a genetic mutation that caused PD.
  C) My brain has too much of a chemical called dopamine.
  D) Most people get PD when they are my age.

Question 2

A client is evaluated for Parkinson disease (PD). Which findings on the Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) would suggest a positive finding for PD?

Select all that apply.
  A) Diarrhea
  B) Dystonia
  C) Retropulsion
  D) Hyperphonia
  E) Festination

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

rekilledagain

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

Early-onset Parkinson disease is likely due to a genetic mutation. Increasing age is a risk factor for PD; diagnosis for a young adult is uncommon. In PD there is a deficit of available dopamine. Although a healthy diet avoiding pesticides is recommended, it is not a proven causative agent.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B, C, E

The UPDRS rates the client in 42 different areas of function. Positive findings for PD are retropulsion (the tendency to fall backward), festination (rapid walking as if trying to run) and dystonia (twisting and repetitive movements). Diarrhea and hyperphonia (loud voice) are not symptoms of PD. Constipation and hypophonia (soft voice) are symptoms of PD.

asan beg

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

sailorcrescent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library