This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is interviewing a client who is 36 weeks pregnant. Which client statement would require ... (Read 45 times)

cherise1989

The nurse is interviewing a client who is 36 weeks pregnant. Which client statement would require immediate intervention by the nurse?

1. I have to get up during the night to void.
  2. I have not felt the baby move today.
  3. I am leaking a yellowish fluid from my breasts.
  4. I have been taking Tylenol (acetaminophen) for my backaches.

Question 2

The nurse is interviewing a primigravida client who is 17 weeks pregnant. During the data collection the client reports she has not felt the baby move yet. Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?

1. We will listen for the heartbeat today.
  2. You need an ultrasound.
  3. Fetal movement may not be felt until the 18th week.
  4. Do you have reason to believe your baby is not ok?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

micaelaswann

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
The absence or change in fetal movement can signal a problem with the pregnancy. When no fetal movement has been noted in the past 8 hours, there are fewer than 10 movements in 12 hours, there is a change in the usual pattern of movements, or a sudden increase in violent fetal movements followed by a complete cessation of movement, further investigation is warranted. Immediate evaluation of the fetus should take place. Urinary frequency is common during the last months of pregnancy as the uterus places pressure on the bladder. Pregnant women begin to produce and secrete colostrum from the breasts during pregnancy. Tylenol is appropriate for the back pain that accompanies third trimester pregnancy.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Quickening, the fluttery initial sensations of fetal movement perceived by the mother, usually occurs at approximately 18 weeks, possibly earlier in women who have given birth before. This mother is in need of factual information from the nurse. While all prenatal care appointments at this gestation and beyond will include an assessment of the fetal heartbeat, this option does not meet the client's need for education. Ultrasounds may be performed to assess for fetal viability but there is no indication at this time the pregnancy is at risk. Asking if the client is feeling uneasy about the health of the pregnancy does not meet the client's need for information.

cherise1989

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

ricroger

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library