This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse assesses clients on the medical-surgical unit. Which client is at greatest risk for bladder ... (Read 58 times)

drink

A nurse assesses clients on the medical-surgical unit. Which client is at greatest risk for bladder cancer? a.

A 25-year-old female with a history of sexually transmitted diseases
  b.
  A 42-year-old male who has worked in a lumber yard for 10 years
  c.
  A 55-year-old female who has had numerous episodes of bacterial cystitis
  d.
  An 86-year-old male with a 50-pack-year cigarette smoking history

Question 2

After teaching a client with a history of renal calculi, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I should drink at least 3 liters of fluid every day.
  b. I will eliminate all dairy or sources of calcium from my diet.
  c. Aspirin and aspirin-containing products can lead to stones.
  d. The doctor can give me antibiotics at the first sign of a stone.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

DylanD1323

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The greatest risk factor for bladder cancer is a long history of tobacco use. The other factors would not necessarily contribute to the development of this specific type of cancer.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Dehydration contributes to the precipitation of minerals to form a stone. Although increased intake of calcium causes hypercalcemia and leads to excessive calcium filtered into the urine, if the client is well hydrated the calcium will be excreted without issues. Dehydration increases the risk for supersaturation of calcium in the urine, which contributes to stone formation. The nurse should encourage the client to drink more fluids, not decrease calcium intake. Ingestion of aspirin or aspirin-containing products does not cause a stone. Antibiotics neither prevent nor treat a stone.

drink

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

raili21

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the United Kingdom. It if often referred to as a superbug. MRSA infections cause more deaths in the United States every year than AIDS.

Methicilli ...
Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library