This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client with acromegaly who is scheduled for a hypophysectomy, the nurse assesses ... (Read 20 times)

kellyjaisingh

After teaching a client with acromegaly who is scheduled for a hypophysectomy, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I will no longer need to limit my fluid intake after surgery.
  b. I am glad no visible incision will result from this surgery.
  c. I hope I can go back to wearing size 8 shoes instead of size 12.
  d. I will wear slip-on shoes after surgery to limit bending over.

Question 2

A nurse assesses clients for potential endocrine dysfunction. Which client is at greatest risk for a deficiency of gonadotropin and growth hormone?

a. A 36-year-old female who has used oral contraceptives for 5 years
  b. A 42-year-old male who experienced head trauma 3 years ago
  c. A 55-year-old female with a severe allergy to shellfish and iodine
  d. A 64-year-old male with adult-onset diabetes mellitus

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brbarasa

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Although removal of the tissue that is oversecreting hormones can relieve many symptoms of hyperpituitarism, skeletal changes and organ enlargement are not reversible. It will be appropriate for the client to drink as needed postoperatively and avoid bending over. The client can be reassured that the incision will not be visible.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Gonadotropin and growth hormone are anterior pituitary hormones. Head trauma is a common cause of anterior pituitary hypofunction. The other factors do not increase the risk of this condition.

Did you know?

According to research, pregnant women tend to eat more if carrying a baby boy. Male fetuses may secrete a chemical that stimulates their mothers to step up her energy intake.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library